FCC Members, Families, and Friends, On Saturday September 29, 2018 as part of the 2018 Chinese Americans Convention sponsored by an organization called United Chinese Americans (UCA), several speakers from the adoption community will speak on the topic: Families with Adopted Children from China and Search for Birth Parents. This event will occur between 3:30-5:30 PM. Afterwards, a film about adoption will be screened from approximately 5:30-7:30 PM and films Producer and Director, will be present to answer questions. Then a Chinese Cultural Performance will occur before the evening ends.
- Joshua Zhong who is President and Founder of Chinese Children Adoption International (CCAI) Adoption Agency and adoptive parent of a child from China himself. Some of you likely had CCAI facilitate your child’s adoption from China.
- Dr. Changfu Chang the well-known University Professor and Producer-Director of numerous films about Chinese adoption will also speak. His film, Meet Me on the Bridge: Discovering the Truth About My Parents after 20 Years will are after the presentations and afterwards he will answer questions. The film tells the story of Chinese Adoptte, Katie Pohler, who was abandoned in a market in China when she was three days old. Her parents left a note saying they would meet her on a famous bridge in the area 10 or 20 years later. Her father would visit the bridge on the anniversary every her looking for her. This became big news in China but Katie was living it the US and unaware of it. This film shows Katie’s trip from the US to China to meet her biological parents in China on this bridge 20 years after she adopted and chronicles their reunion.
- Other speakers include William Chen, Kelly Greenhawk, Ellen Lamb and Faith Winstead.
During their presentations and panel discussion these speakers will address the following topics:
- Overview and history of the search for birth parents
- The adoptee perspective
- The adoptive parent perspective
- Resources available
- Current initiatives, ongoing projects, and programs
Registration – Individual Rate If you are interested in learning more about this topic, and want to attend this one-day program please go to the following link to register: